Co-directors: Allison Baker, Rebecca Carlson, Apurva Govande
DayCon is a day-long science conference for the general public that will be held next in Spring/Summer 2021. The event includes talks, panels, and interactive sessions across a wide array of scientific disciplines. Check out videos of previous years’ DayCon events here.
This year, our theme will focus on communication and networks, such as cell-cell signaling, human behavior, communication technologies, and more! If you are interested in helping organize this event, we are currently recruiting volunteers for committee chair positions, and will be reaching out closer to the event to recruit day-of volunteers.
DayCon volunteers should:
- Have a broad interest in science outside of just your field
- Have good interpersonal skills for recruiting volunteers
- Be organized and able to keep up with emails
- Have good communication skills to assist volunteers with preparing their presentations
- Work well as part of a team
DayCon volunteers don’t need to: have previous experience recruiting speakers, applying for grants, giving feedback on presentations, or organizing an event of this scale. You’ll be working with a team that includes people with experience from previous years and will learn these skills along the way.
Interested? We are currently recruiting new volunteers for the following positions. Fill out our interest form here: https://forms.gle/P7NJJ4NKw16cUrKB8 or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Speaker Chairs (3): Responsible for recruiting speakers for the event, selecting speakers from the submitted applications, organizing and attending practice talks for all speakers, and helping speakers the day-of with set-up.
- Interactive Session Chairs (3): Responsible for organizing and recruiting interested presenters for the interactive sessions. Previous events have included a hands-on session with the Museum of Science, a virtual reality experience, and a micro-robotics demonstration, among others.
- Logistics & Advertising Chairs (2): Responsible for coordinating the event, including managing food/drink, printed materials, and event registration day-of, as well as advertising the event via flyers and social media presence. Will work closely with other committees and Co-Directors to facilitate logistics and advertising materials for DayCon.
- Tech or Graphics Chair (1): Responsible for filming and editing final day-of video and photography material for the SITN website and for uploading speaker presentations on YouTube